Nuvie - New Ultima VI Engine -  
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum

Extract files

Posted by Guru Dragon 

Extract files
February 08, 2017 04:17PM
Is there a way in Nuvie to extract individual files from the compressed game files? Specifically, I'm looking to extract the music files from Martian Dreams and Savage Empire.

If Nuvie can't do it, can anyone suggest a program that can? Thanks!
Re: Extract files
February 08, 2017 06:16PM
The Windows download installs a tools directory with various unpacking programs.
February 09, 2017 03:47AM
Thank you very much. I found the tools directory you mentioned, and I've been trying to use unpack on the music.lzc files, but I don't know what to enter in the index argument. I've tried various numbers, but nothing seems to happen. Is there any documentation that explains how to use unpack.exe?
February 09, 2017 04:51AM
You can run
unpack_lzc c:/savage/music.lzc (file path could be different)
unpack_lzc c:/martian/music.lzc
or drag music.lzc onto unpack_lzc.exe to extract the files.
The lzc extractor is in the snapshot and not in release. I'm not sure how you would play the music data in a music player.
February 09, 2017 06:18PM
Thanks again! My reason for extracting the music is to get information about the format for the Video Game Music Preservation Foundation (http://www.vgmpf.com) which has technical details for a lot of different audio formats used in games.

Do you have copy of unpack_lzc.exe for Windows you could email me (thealmightyguru at gmail dot com), or do I need to build the project myself?
February 09, 2017 09:20PM
Install the snapshot and it will also install it along with Nuvie. SAVAGE.TIM and MD.TIM are also music data (timbre?).
February 10, 2017 04:44AM
Fantastic, that worked! Thank you very much.

I've been looking through the files in a hex editor, and I see they're using a MIDI-like structure of headers and tracks, but they're naturally not standard MIDI. I've been browsing through the Nuvie source, and see you're implementing AdPlug. I've tried the out-of-the-box AdPlug, and it doesn't appear to support these files when given a MID extension, and I also see some new audio code like OriginFXAdLibDriver. Am I correct in assuming that this format, though MIDI-like, is unique to Savage Empire and Martian Dreams?
February 10, 2017 06:38AM
Eric would be the person to talk to about that. He doesn't check the forums often. You could try catching him on irc at #nuvie@irc.freenode.net (name Yuv422) or emailing him. He has been on irc at around 9:15 GMT through 12:00 GMT lately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 07:03AM by Malignant Manor.
February 10, 2017 04:17PM
Great, I will ask him. I looked for his email on this forum and on github, but I couldn't find it. If you don't think he'd mind, could you send me his email address (thealmightyguru at gmail dot com). If not, I will try to get on IRC during the time you've specified. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login