Nuvie - New Ultima VI Engine -  
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum

Zoom? (solved)

Posted by FatalFramerate 

Zoom? (solved)
January 24, 2015 10:58PM
Everything looks awesome, but if possible I'd like to ditch the aspect ratio and stretch 320x200 up to 640x480 Fullscreen. I have it taking up the whole screen of course but it maintains the aspect so it's kinda small. Just a nitpick, it looks really good!

Here's what I got now:

<video>
<scale_method>point</scale_method>
<scale_factor>6</scale_factor> //////////////This doesn't seem to matter... 2 and 4 are the same.
<fullscreen>yes</fullscreen>
<screen_width>640</screen_width>
<screen_height>480</screen_height>
<game_width>640</game_width>
<game_height>480</game_height>
<game_style>original+_full_map</game_style>
<game_position>center</game_position>
</video>

I played this on SNES like crazy, it's one of those games I'll always remember, up there with Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 3(6), Earthbound... Think I'm gonna play through the PC version, then Exult for VII.

I always hear about how awesome VII is, and I will play it but....at least the Aesthetic of VI is just -way- better in my opinion.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 03:12AM by FatalFramerate.
Re: Zoom?
January 25, 2015 12:02AM
Your video card and monitor have limited setting for allowed fullscreen resolutions. What is your desktop resolution? You should have the screen_width and screen_height settings should equal your desktop resolution times the scale factor. Here are examples.

1920x1080 desktop resolution with 4x scaling
<scale_factor>4</scale_factor>
<screen_width>480</screen_width>
<screen_height>270</screen_height>
<game_width>480</game_width>
<game_height>270</game_height>

1920x1080 desktop resolution with 2x scaling (way bigger than original so probably better sticking to 4x)
<scale_factor>2</scale_factor>
<screen_width>960</screen_width>
<screen_height>540</screen_height>
<game_width>960</game_width>
<game_height>540</game_height>

1366x768 desktop resolution with 2x scaling
<screen_width>683</screen_width>
<screen_height>384</screen_height>
<game_width>683</game_width>
<game_height>384</game_height>

1280x1024 desktop resolution with 4x scaling (close to original size)
<screen_width>320</screen_width>
<screen_height>256</screen_height>
<game_width>320</game_width>
<game_height>256</game_height>

1280x1024 desktop resolution with 2x scaling (2x wider and 2 1/2 times taller than original but still good)
<screen_height>512</screen_height>
<game_height>512</game_height>

The game_width and game_height can be set lower than screen_width and screen_height (as low as 320 and 200) if you don't mind black bars. Playing in a window opens up more scaling options like a scale_factor of 3.
January 25, 2015 12:41AM
Yeah I read the guide but wasn't really sure how to apply what it was saying. The examples helped though.
This works really good:
(I'm at 1280x768)

<screen_height>192</screen_height>
<game_height>256</game_height>
<game_style>original</game_style>

Using "New" is a bit better though, cause it makes the viewing area pretty small otherwise. Thanks!

What's the keyboard command to enter combat though? What I've seen says CTRL-C but that enables/disables cheats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 12:43AM by FatalFramerate.
January 25, 2015 01:12AM
'B' will toggle combat on and off. Other documentation is here. If you are using the SVN snapshots (I think the snapshots fixed a few crashes and some less important fixes than 0.5), you need to download this file and open it in the web browser to see more up to date info.

screen_height will not go lower than 200 (it forces it to be at least that value). Try this and see how you like it.
<screen_height>384</screen_height>
<game_height>384</game_height>

You might also like original+ or original+_full_map for game_style, because it should show much more of the map than the game originally does (at these settings).
January 25, 2015 01:47AM
Yeah, that's what my original settings made it look like. I might go with that, or Original fit to screen. They both look awesome. smiling smiley

This keeps it nice and zoomed, but fullscreen and with a decent viewing area:

<screen_height>200</screen_height>
<game_height>200</game_height>
<game_style>new</game_style>

I think the only reason it didn't look like this at Default was maybe Scale Factor was 2?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 02:03AM by FatalFramerate.
Re: Zoom? (solved)
January 25, 2015 07:32AM
Cool thing about actually entering 640x480 in both places is that I get native scanlines on this CRT. 640x384 isn't doing that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login