Nuvie - New Ultima VI Engine -  
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum

New sprites for companions?

Posted by HiPhish 

Re: New sprites for companions?
February 23, 2014 03:11AM
Customs sprite code has been uploaded and a few of the sprites are in the snapshots. (Eric is in the process of getting the correct color indexes.)

Dupre's death/sleep tile looks weird having black hair. It is data\images\actors\U6\actor_002_0339.bmp. I can't get it to look nice though. Would you be willing to give it a try?
February 23, 2014 09:50AM
Here is sleeping Dupre:

I understand palette cycling now, but what exactly needs to be fixed? I use the palette that was given to me by Eric, but I think the colour indices in that palette are wrong (it uses the same indices as the palette image on the documentation page). I just noticed there is no sprite for Iolo playing the lute, do you need that as well?
February 23, 2014 07:57PM

I just noticed there is no sprite for Iolo playing the lute, do you need that as well?
That would be great. Gwenno is a musician too so could use those frames as well.

I understand palette cycling now, but what exactly needs to be fixed? I use the palette that was given to me by Eric, but I think the colour indices in that palette are wrong (it uses the same indices as the palette image on the documentation page).

The color of the index doesn't matter. It is the index number that is used. Don't use indexes 224 - 252. It could also be a problem with tinypic using jpgs. Eric and I will try and get the palettes working so you can focus on new tiles.
February 23, 2014 09:13PM
I don't know what "indexes 224 - 252" really means. As far as I understand each colour is a set of three values, for example encoded using a 32-bit unsigned integer for RGBA where each value ranges from 0-255 (because 32 = 4 * 8 and 2^8 = 256). And a palette would then be some sort of table that assigns a number to each of these colours. Then index 224 would be the RGB colour (150, 0, 200) (pulled that one out of thin air). Am I right so far?

If I have drawn my images using a modern image editor, how do I know which indices I have on what pixel?
February 23, 2014 09:31PM
The bmps are 8 bit. So there are 0-255 for color indexes. Each index can have whatever RGB value assigned. Nuvie uses the game palette so the color palette doesn't matter. (GIMP needs to export without color space information.)

Modern editors should be able to handle indexes but it doesn't look like Pixelmator does which is extremely stupid especially when pixel is in the title. GIMP calls it the colormap. You should be okay if you use the RGB values of the palette that are not 224 - 252.

Edit: I added Julia, Katrina, and Jaana. Neither of them seemed to have any color index issues.

Edit again: Leodon is also a musician so could use musician frames too.

Edit 3: Sentri, Leodon, Leonna, Gorn, and Blaine didn't have any issues either. We've now got all the completed sprites in Nuvie.

Edit 4: Eric made all the rotating palettes 00fced in the images so that it is pretty easy to import your sprites without much worry about having the wrong colors.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 11:05PM by Malignant Manor.
February 24, 2014 10:51AM
Ugh, I hate gimp, the interface was designed specifically to frustrate me... Anyway, I'll download it anyway for this. I want to avoid having only flat BMPs available, because it's harder to make changes to those. If you only paint the new sprite as a layer on top of the old one you can toggle things on and off easily. Something like a cape can be drawn onto the sprite without affecting the underlying clothing. If you then decide that the cape looks awful you only change the cape, you don't have to r-construct the underlying clothes.

Great job on getting the custom sprites displayed, it's really cool to see my work in action now.
February 24, 2014 03:38PM
GIMP can handle layers. You shouldn't need to use GIMP though. Just use colors that match the palette.
March 03, 2014 11:28PM
Here we go: Iolo the musician
[imgur.com]

It's a combination between Iolo's sitting frame and the bard's playing frame.
March 07, 2014 05:26PM
Hopefully the other 2 can be finished by the 11th anniversary, March 14, 2014 since that is when Eric wants to have the 0.5 release.

Eric said one Avatar sprite was done by Daniel but I have no idea which one it was. I'll try and get him to say which one it is and maybe post a sprite sheet just in case someone feels like making Avatar sprites.

Edit. It's the male portrait with the mail coif.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 10:08PM by Malignant Manor.
March 07, 2014 11:00PM
Here is Gwenno

I hope imgur is better for you than tinypic. I'll try to get Leodon done as well until the anniversary, it should be doable. And yes, I also noticed that some sprites could use an outline around their hair; I was using the original Ultima VI sprites for for the hair style and just coloured them differently. I'll see what i can do.
March 08, 2014 10:14AM
Leodon playing the lute and added outlines for some sprites to make them better visible.

March 09, 2014 01:51AM
I noticed Gwenno (and her music playing), Leodon, Leonna, and Jaana had more outlines. It's better to specifiy each character that needs updating since these could easily be missed.
March 11, 2014 10:25PM
You guys wanted the companion dolls without the lines, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 10:26PM by HiPhish.
March 22, 2014 07:05PM
I'm geeking out with excitement seeing the beautiful new sprites and paperdolls. Thanks HiPhish!
May 06, 2014 02:06AM
HiPhish, do you mind if I borrow some of your character concepts? I've been helping do new graphics for an Ultima 6 mod in Exult, and some of the party members have been giving me trouble.
May 06, 2014 04:19PM
Go ahead, the are not really "my" concepts, I was mostly sticking to the character portraits, in-game cutscenes (Iolo, Dupre and Shamino) and and the artworks from Japanese Ultima VI cluebook (you can find those at the Ultima Codex wiki on each companion's wiki page). I only filled in interpretation when there was not enough information available or I couldn't draw it poperly (like the vest for Gwenno which ended up looking like an Arabian Night genie).
October 16, 2014 07:36PM
First i wanna thanks all the nuvie team and hipish for is wonderfull work
I have a little request It's possible to import the character tiles form U6O with Nuvie?If yes how can i do that?

If not Can please someone do for me(o re adapt) the tiles of the Canon Blonde Avatar(i mean the one in the u8 box)?

Unfortunately I'm not able to do it and i can't wait to start U6 with the cool stuff you guys made.

I will really appreciated it

P.S Sorry fir the bad english

This is the tiles that i need
October 17, 2014 02:36AM

I have a little request It's possible to import the character tiles form U6O with Nuvie?
No. They are twice the original size and don't use a color palette. Someone would need to try to manually recreate the images which will have less details and color choices.
February 25, 2015 01:06PM
Okay, this is honestly AMAZING!

HiPhish you're an hero for all the Ultima VI fans out there! Thank you very much, I can't wait to replay U6 (for the Nth time! grinning smiley) with your new sprites.

Thanks again! smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login