Nuvie - New Ultima VI Engine -  
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum

New sprites for companions?

Posted by HiPhish 

Re: New sprites for companions?
January 08, 2014 01:03PM
Here is a pro tip: no matter what you do, when you say you are done you will never be really done. I added the remaining five female Avatars now:

The male Avatars and the third female Avatar are all in Nuvie already, I had nothing to do with them. The first female Avatar is wearing a sort of samurai armour, and I don't know much about feudal Japanese lore, so this is my best approximation based on images of real samurai on the internet.

I'll see that I get into touch with Codex soon

EDIT: replaced the image with a PNG, tinypic had converted the BMP to a JPG with ugly compressions. The strip with the blue background has the colour 119, which is 0070fc , the "transparent" colour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 05:19PM by HiPhish.
January 11, 2014 09:22AM
News post and poll are up on the Codex:
[ultimacodex.com]
January 11, 2014 01:28PM
First three Spirtes: Dupre, Shamino and Iolo (and Gwenno in progress)
January 11, 2014 11:37PM
Sprites for Gwenno and Segallion:
January 12, 2014 04:03AM
So, Beh Lem down there is simply missing the sitting sprites? I may try and cobble something together for him.
Also, is there a list of which characters use which numbers so I can number them correctly? I assume there is but I honestly have no clue where to look for them. :/
A second question: Are we creating "strips" for each character? There's very little explanation on how these should be formatted at this point. smiling smiley

EDIT::
Oh, yeah, he needs a shirt and lizard still as well. I forgot about those. I'll get them added before I post what I come up with.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 12:28AM by VisElEchNon.
January 12, 2014 09:34AM
I hadn't touched Beh Lem at all, I just imported regular wingless gargoyle sprites for the time being. The sitting frames look spot-on, thank you a lot, but we won't be able to see them in the game yet, because the game doesn't know that gargoyles can sit. The lizard looks fantastic, but my interpretation of the straps as some sort of belts, not a shirt. To be fair, a shirt makes more sense, though if he wanted to fit in with humans wouldn't he also be wearing pants? Maybe those straps are for a backpack? That would also explain where he stores his inventory. I really don't know, all that's important is that he looks different from other gargoyles, so let's just leave it this way.

I should have mentioned how I organise the image: Each character is a layer group with an unaltered horizontal strip of all frames as the base (same name as the companion) and the changes on a second layer on top of that (layer name is Skin). If something needs to be removed from the base sprite don't erase it, use a mask on it instead. Accessories go on a layer on top of the skin layer and are names after the accessory (like Sword). If the in-game sprite of a character is different from the base sprite you want to use (like with Shamino), put it below the one you want to use and turn it off. Here is what my layers panel looks like:

I use Pixelmator as my application, but this is such simple stuff, you can do it in Gimp and Phtoshop the exact same way. The advantage of this approach instead of painting everything on the same layer is that it is non-destructive, I can revert anything to its original form and toggle accessories on or off at will.

EDIT: OK, I separated Beh Lem's clothes from his naked skin into two layers now. It was simple enough because there was nothing complicated going on, but if you want to do more sprites could you please stick to the above procedure? Youcan save the files in Gimp or Photoshop format if you don't use Pixelmator. When I'm done I'll export the result in Gimp format so future modders can continue my work if they want to.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 12:35PM by HiPhish.
January 12, 2014 05:04PM
lol Like this? I use PaintShop Pro personally, but yeah, I use layers a lot. smiling smiley

EDIT::
WTF? The host is suddenly complaining about hotlinking...
Here's the actual URL: http:// ultimalauncher.cu.cc/ images/ behLem.psd
You'll need to get rid of the spaces because this forum automatically converted the URL into a link... :/ (Or just, you know, copy the link location from the link above... grinning smiley)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 05:09PM by VisElEchNon.
January 12, 2014 09:27PM
Yes, that's exactly what I meant, thank you. Yo can post clickable links, Safari can open Photoshop projects oddly enough. Here is the Sentri sprite:
January 13, 2014 11:36PM
Leodon Sprite:

Yes, I have slowed down to just one spritesheet per day. This isn't so much hard as it is just slow and tedious to do 15 slightly different frames for each character individually. Don't worry, I am going to finish this, but it will take longer than the dolls.
January 15, 2014 12:00AM
Leonna sprite:
January 16, 2014 12:01AM
Here is an updated image of the dolls; I had to change Gorn, his chest plate should only cover his chest, not go below the waist.

Also, Gorn's sprite:
January 16, 2014 05:31PM
Blaine sprite:

I know that Blaine is a juggler, but having him juggle non-stop 24/7 would look stupid in my opinion.
January 17, 2014 12:38PM
Four unfinished companion sprites in the file, four unfinished companion sprites in the file, take one down, paint it around, three unfinished companions sprites in the file...

January 18, 2014 08:17PM
Julia sprite:

This leaves us with only Katrina as the last human companion. Not sure what to do with Sherry, I might change the hue of her fur a little to make her stand out from other mice. Then there is the Avatar sprite, that would be twelve new sprites on top of all this. The Avatar sprite already looks unique, so I might just leave it as is, doing these tiny pixels frame by frame is really burning me out. I used to do three dolls in a day, but I can only do one sprite per day.
January 20, 2014 08:33PM
release time!

The Avatar dolls will have to wait. Maybe I'll do them sometime later, maybe I won't, I don't know. If else anyone wants to give it a try, be my guest.
February 08, 2014 11:11PM
Most palette indexes from 224 and up rotate constantly between different indexes. The first parameter is the index and the second is how many indexes it cycles between.

rotate_palette(0xe0,8); // Fires, braziers, candles
rotate_palette(0xe8,8); // BluGlo[tm] magical items

// The following rotate at half as often
rotate_palette(0xf0,4); //
rotate_palette(0xf4,4); // Kitchen Cauldrons
rotate_palette(0xf8,4); // Poison Field

Index 255 can be transparent depending on the tile type. PBLCK and TRANS have transparency. I'm not really sure what PBLOCK is though. It runs decodePixelBlockTile which turns all pixels transparent and seems to set some colors indexes.

// tile types stored in masktype.vga

#define U6TILE_PLAIN 0x0
#define U6TILE_TRANS 0x5
#define U6TILE_PBLCK 0xA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 11:27PM by Malignant Manor.
February 11, 2014 05:58AM
I've edited all the dolls for non-new styles and I should have them coded later today (Feb 11).
February 12, 2014 11:52PM
Thanks for the clarification on colour cycling, but what does that mean for my sprites? Do I have to fix them somehow? (I haven't been following Nuvie development for a while now, I had been burnt out from these sprites and dolls)
February 13, 2014 12:35AM
Eric said you used some colors that cycle which means they will cycle on the characters. .Fixing them would be just changing the palette indexes 224 and using the fill tool to paint similar colors indexes below 244. I don't know if he fixed the sprites yet. He'll probably fix them. I don't have the pngs of the sprites and am trying to play through the game to test for bugs.

He has Avatar sprites that Daniel made. I'm not sure if it is a full set or not.
February 13, 2014 11:37AM

I'm almost done with the custom actor tile logic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login